Storm Heist:My Little Pony: A New Generation, deleted scene


This is a deleted scene from My Little Pony: A New Generation, that I storyboarded.

In fact this is not just a deleted scene but really it's a scene from a completely different version of the movie. In this version Sunny, Izzy, Zipp and Hitch need to get the three magic stones to restore friendship. But the stones seem to be losing their magic, right after one last power surge that already caused havoc in Maretime Bay and Bridlewood. After making it to the pegasi city Zephyr Heights, the group plans an elaborate heist to steal the magic stone during a concert of princess Pipp. There’s only one problem, the stone is part of the stage... 

The story was very different at this time than the story of the final movie. The three species all used their stone for a specific purpose. The earth ponies had a power plant, where the stone provided Maretime Bay with electricity. The unicorns had their stone in a museum where it helped them to make floating art. And the pegasi used their stone to control the weather in Zephyr Heights. 

As you can tell in this version of the film, the pegasi could still fly. The combination of the weather going crazy while flying ponies chase each other around made this sequence a fun challenge.  

It really was a lot of fun to do, even though I had to finish it in a bit of a rush to make the deadline for the first screening. While I was working on it, it was already clear that this wasn’t going to be in the final movie -and I knew it too! Haha, it was the first time that I noticed that I really didn't care if my board would make the final cut and just tried to have fun and give the directors my best take. I learned a lot from that. 

The part where Hitch finds the 'sleeping' guard might be my favorite of everything I did for the movie. Of course I got the note: it seems too much like Izzy killed that guard. Even though I knew it would never make the movie it was great to see this chase sequence come to live in the first screening.