Train Heist Storyboard Sequence

Two outlaws board a speeding train and try to rob the safe. But the money car is heavily guarded and there’s a sheriff’s posse waiting for them further up the road. Will the bandits get away? 

Like the Dragonheart sequence that I did last year, this storyboard was based on an assignment that is part of the Pixar story internship. You start with a list of 25 story beats for a typical western train robbery. The objective of the assignment is to keep the audience audience oriented and maintaining screen-direction.

This assignment was shared with me by Pixar story artist Christian Roman, who also gave me notes on my storyboard. His notes specifically helped me in developing the characters for the robbers. 


Digital storyboard, drawn with Photoshop

Click on the first image to view the whole sequence in the lightbox picture viewer. You can move through it by clicking the panels, or by using the arrow keys on your keyboard.